Sunday, July 11, 2010

Brief Review of PBS's Masterpiece Mystery! Murder on the Orient Express

I would have to say an interesting adaptation of Agatha Christie’s ‘Murder on the Orient Express’.

The acting was superb all around, the writing was well done but let’s make no mistake, it was an adaptation, not a legitimate expression of Agatha Christie’s intent.

For someone who has read Agatha Christie since I was a child, this was not the Poirot that I know nor is it the Poirot Agatha Christie knew.

Poirot had more control, had much more pomposity and would not have shown his emotions in such a raw form, which is what made this an intriguing adaptation.

The story is a powerful one that all of us take ownership of, which makes it hard for us to watch when others take liberties with the author’s intent.

Interesting adaptation but I felt Poirot’s character was not held to Agatha’s standards and unfortunately neither was the plot. I don’t think I would have enjoyed it as much if the acting wasn’t so brilliant (or the cinematography for that matter), but in the end, I was let down with a director and writer who felt their views and visions were more important than Agatha Christie’s and that I cannot forgive.

1 comment:

J.A. Hennrikus said...

Just left you a mini rant on Facebook. You were kinder than I am...

Did you hear the rumble? It was Dame Agatha rolling over in her grave.

Julie